Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:37:47 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: too much bleeding on this list
Comments: To: Gary Hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

Hi Gary, (the following are fact!!!) >>>Ben, I think there is too much made of bleeding the vanagon<<< I agree!

>>>more important were changes in the waterpump and thermostat.<<< I agree!

>>>no big air pockets get trapped in the waterpump<<< I agree!

>>>Jacking the van up or down and doing all this hokey pokey is a bunch of crap<<< I...partially agree! the last 2.1L i did was a water pump change for a local club member! i never raised the front or back! i just bleed the van normally with the (in sequence) Rear heater bleed screw, front rad and rear rad. First drive was a 10-20% higher reading on the temp gauge, bleed the front again, second drive, normal reading!and yes, we did monitor the coolant level in the exp. tank a few time. Last week i did my 84 (water pump again-front of van not raise), went for a drive, i had a iregular reading on the temp gauge, the gauge even went in the 3/4 to 4/4 (light blinking)!!! Came back to garage, bled again with van on the ground, many air bubble in front and rear, went for a drive, better in average but the the temp needle went (one time) at the near 4/4 position, went back in garage, raise the back, many, many, many air bubble, spill at least 1 liter wile bleeding, drove the van again, temp steady in the midle!!! that is a fact. I don't say that raising the front or rear is mandatory, but it surely help not loosing my time!

>>>people are trying to bleed a vanagon with a bad head gasket.<<< I fully agree! (and other bad/faulty cooling part such as; thermostat, temp sender, faulty cooling hose, partially blocked radiator/heather and so on)

>>>If you have a failing head gasket in the early stages, no amount of bleeding is going to fix it<<< Well, for sure!!! but a external gasket leak as nothing to do with a good or bad bleeding, the EXTERNAL GASKET head leak only act like a 2nd bleeding spot, the internal colling system will not suck air, it will reject air or coolant! This is very different if you have an internal head gasket failure. If you had no head gasket problem before you did the coolant repair!! there is no reason that you will have one after!!!

>>>you may want to check the coolant resevoir after doing some short trips<<< I totaly agree, basic stuff!!!

My conclusion: The Vanagon cooling system is a bit more complicated then a normal car, the main reason is that it as 2 heater rad very far from it source. It also contain a lot more coolant that any other car! So it is normal that the bleedind procedure is a bit more...complex! I would not try raising the front first, i would try a normal bleeding first, if it give some trouble, why not try to raise the front (or rear)??? I thinks it's a spare solution, that all.

But, you are so right when you say; >>>I think the vanagon list has harmed many new comers to vanagons by putting the fear of bleeding on too high of a plane<<< The blleding system is NOT an horror story, at all!!!! when i was a new comer, i was afraid of touching the coolant system!!!! because i was reading to much...crapy post or should i say other people horror story. I have to agree with you on that!!!! this list had it's sare of...people that hated the vanagon cooling system! but very good knowledgeable member also, very very good member. well, that is why i did my web page! so i could help other, like many did for me at one time.

Just for the sake of a nice discussion Gary. Like always, Best regards Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm ps.: my web page is by any means a refference page, it's just a personal page with my and other volks experience, advice and little trick, nothing else! if it help a few, well, thats good.