Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:26:27 -0500
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: POR15 Undercoat
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com, type2@type2.com

[...]

Well I posted this yesterday and did not get much of response. One rave "Great idea" and one strong "Don't do it" any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:52:17 -0500 From: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@vanagon.org> Subject: POR15 Undercoat To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com, type2@type2.com

I drive a syncro westy but this thread should ring true for anyone with a bus that would like to drive in winter who is worried about rust.

I am in a bit of a unique situation at the moment. The propane tank is out, and the saddle gas tank that I'm having put in under the passenger sliding door is not installed yet. Additionally, there is some work that requires the removal of the driveshaft. This leaves the bulk of these sections free of obstructions.

To me, this is the perfect oportunity to sandblast or wirebrush and then coat the entire middle section of the van with POR15. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? My main concern is trapping moisture.

I think it would be way too much work to effectively coat underneith where the floorboards meet the frame (if I'm wrong tell me), and I can't see an easy way to finish the inside of the framerails (again let me know). These are two stumbling blocks but even with these limitations as long as none of the existing drainholes were blocked wouldn't this be a pretty good thing to do if I were so inclined?

Yes the middle section is just one part of the van, but I figure I could do this in stages, slowly applying POR15 to the entire underbody of the van. I am also thinking about extending up the side of the van to coat the rocker panels of course this would all be topcoated to prevent UV decaying the POR15.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Chris