Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:11:11 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: POR15 Undercoat (long)
Comments: To: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>

Hi,

I have been experimenting with POR-15 now for over a year with mixed results.

I am a serious fan of the stuff... it is often times somewhat miraculus what it can do. The drawbacks are that the paint itself is expensive, it is difficult to work with, and it can be tempermental.

I have coated many area of my Vanagon and also many external componants.. the Paulchen bike rack I got was getting rusty so I cleaned it up and POR-15'd it, and it looks literally brand new... also after being out in the elements for a season. The used trailer hitch I got was a rusty mess, and I also treated that, and it is looking fine! I coated the headlight buckets for my rectangular lights, as well as the inside area of the chassis all behind the front headlight grill... great results! Also have hit various other rust areas... rear hatch spots, the entire coolant overflow tank holder... both shields under the engine, the entire windshield frame when changing the windshield of my wife's Golf Cabrio... fantastic results.

Now the details. POR-15 needs to be applied to a 100% dust and grease free surface... SO my guess is that a good sandblasting will be adequate for surface crap removal... but you will have to remove any old undercoating, oil, waxy stuff, and grime. For this the company recommends their Marine Clean product, which I must say, is also pretty amazing stuff! I use it diluted with water (depending on the cleaning I am doing) and I fill up a spray bottle with it and spray it on, and wipe it off with a clean cloth... then I do that again. This has worked quite well.

On areas which are ground or sanded down to bare metal... they suggest preparing the surface with their product called Metal-Ready, which as far as I can tell is a strong acid etching compound which may also be doing some zinc coating to the bare metal. This is where I have had problems. I also spray this on, and leave it for 10 - 30 min... it bubbles and fizzes and seems to be doing its thing. Then I was simply wiping it off with a clean towel, and lettting the surface dry before painting. I noticed often small air bubbles and could only figure that the reaction was not complete, and it was still bubling underneath... this looks rather crappy when you want that super smooth surface which you CAN achieve with POR-15... but with a second coat, is probably not problematic.

I then tried as the instructions suggested, to clean the Metal-Ready off with water, and then a cloth and dry... I don't really like the idea of water on my cleaned prepared surfaces, but this seemed to help... and I got fewer bubbles... but not 100% smooth.

The POR-15 likes rust, as you know, so you should not go down to bare metal in your prep.

The speed at which it dries is entirely dependent on temperature, but moreso on HUMIDITY! It dries faster in high humidity conditions... and that can be an issue, because in order for your entire restoration to work, you need to time the various coats quiteprecisely. You need to let the first coat of POR-15 dry to the point where a finger touch will leave a fingerprint mark.. meaning it is just slightly drier than "tacky". This is when you apply your second coat (and I do NOT reccommend only one coat).

I usually do the first coat thinner than the second... and once the second coat is to this fingerprint dryness... you then need to apply the primer. SInce it can take from 1 to 4 hours to get to the nest coat.. your project can last all day (ie. don't start it in the evening!).

I have not yet done any priming or final coat, as I am not interested so much right now in the final appearence... I want solid rustproofing (plus I am lazy)... but having said this, I can tell you that the high-gloss of the black POR-15 will fade quickly to a matt black finish when the UV of the sun hits it. I have read in the literature, and even asked the distributor if this in any way affects the products composition or protection... and they have indicated that the change through UV is 100% cosmetic.

This is kind of cool, as the Cabrio is already black, and I can touch up areas of rust in it with nobody even knowing!! The Vanagon is of course a different story. The one larger area where I experimented with priming over the POR-15 was on teh rear hatch.. and I let the second coat dry completely, and sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper as they suggested (400 I think).

First... sanding this stuff is a bear.. it is strong... and hard! I finally had the feeling that I may have actually given the surface the tooth that it needed for primer to stick to it... so I sprayed on some gray primer, and hit it with a few coats over the next hour... it is now 6 months later and there are area where the primer has come off (don't really know why) and the POR underneath is just fine.

Anyway, feel free to pmail me and we can discuss the stuff further. I read about a guy who coated the skid plates on his syncro with a few coats or POR-15 and then went out on an offroad adventure over rocks, trees, etc... afterwards he said the skid plates looked horrible... but when he sprayed with a hose, there were just a few surface scratches, and no evidence of any chips or flakes or anything!

Having used this stuff I can honestly say do not ever attempt to use it in your normal everyday clothing... because you will get a bit of it on your jeans, and it will stay there forever... and ALWAYS use rubber doctors gloves and any other protective stuff you can. I got it on my arm and it really was there for 10 days, couldn't scrub it off in the shower!! Once it dries, it is over... this goes for you can of POR too! I take the larger quantity that I buy, and immediately divide it up into little glass babyfood type fars, and being certain I do not get ANY on the threads, I carefully screw them closed and keep the stuff in a cool place.

There is a solvent which I got, because occasionally I let a jar sit too long, and it will get syrupy.. so I add a bit of the POR Solvent to thin it out... apparently you can also use it for cleanup... but the chemical scares me... I don't want it on my skin or in my lungs etc. I buy cheap brushes and throw them out after they have dried hard.

I hope this helps! Good luck, and I hope you can document this with some photos etc! Would be great for others to learn from.

RSF

PS. I would highly suggest practicing on a few other projects before doing your Vanagon... just to get the feel for the stuff.

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf