Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:38:21 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Idle update

Hi all,

A quick (or not) update on my idle issues: I replaced the breather hose and the idle stabilizer control module (with the "D" version) in my '87 Westy. I didn't figure the breather hose was affecting my idle, otherwise I would have installed the parts separately and tested each. Here's what I've got now: When I first started the van this morning, about 20F, the van started and did NOT run rough. Yay! One problem fixed!! It started out idling at about 1100 RPM, a good cold idle speed. After a minute or so, however, the idle would periodically drop, slowly, then would jump back up. Strange, I thought. Seemed to me it would react quicker to compensate for changes in idle speed, but at least it WAS compensating, so clearly the control module was working now. It stopped doing this after it warmed up for a few minutes and dropped to about 900 RPM. I drove it the 20 minutes to work and when I parked, i.e., put the AT in PARK, the idle would fluctuate between 1200 and 1600. I did not kick the gas pedal to see if it would drop down and idle normally at that point. Just forgot.

I also noticed a different sound when it was cold that may or may not have been there before . . . the engine seemed to be ticking, and the speed would change with the engine speed. If it was there before, I probably wrote it off as some part hitting some other part outside the engine. Now I'm not so sure.

Back to the idle . . . at this point I'm thinking that the idle stabilizer valve is not responding quickly enough and that is responsible for the idle fluctuating. Thoughts?

But then again, the J pipe in the exhaust, the part that connects to the cat. conv., seems to have a leak in the gasket at the end furthest from the cat. This is annoying because I replaced that J pipe and gasket about 2 years ago. Apparently I didn't do such a great job. The question is, though, can this gasket leak cause bouncing idle?

I also have the Temp II sensor and a new oxygen sensor, should these be implicated in this scenario . . .

Thanks to all for your help, Marc Perdue