Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:56:15 -0700
From:         "Miller, Ryan" <RMiller@STANTEC.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Mr Heater portable buddy experiences
Comments: To: "wetwesties@yahoogroups.com" <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with a tech at Mr. Heater. I'm not sure if it was the Mr. Heater, but I asked him about this problem and he confirmed that a double regulated line wouldn't work very well if at all. He did mention that they had tossed the idea around about making a unit without the internal regulator for just such a purpose though. I also asked him about ways around this problem, but as suspected he couldn't suggest anything due to liability reasons. So, back to the double regulator situation, can the internal one be removed? or does there exists a regulator which could supply enough pressure from the tank to simulate, (so to speak) a 1lb canister fully charged?

Ryan

-----Original Message----- From: Leon R Dunham [mailto:lionstch@peak.org] Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:48 PM To: wetwesties Subject: Re: [WetWesties] Mr Heater portable buddy experiences

I used one for a while, until I killed it trying to take it apart to attempt fixing it. I never figured out what was wrong--so there it sits, waiting for more time....

I think it is a great heater, one of the aspects is that it is much more stable than some of there others. The biggest annoyance I had is the same with burning any non vented propane--it produces huge amounts of water vapor. Since most of our camping is done on the wet side of the mountains adding water to the air seems downright silly, not to mention uncomfortable. Also, even though this is one of those that is rated for enclosed use I would not trust it unless I were up and active. I also seem to recall the finer print specifically excluding RV's from the approved listing as "enclosed space," I suspect there is some minimum volume of air it wants to be in.

Ryan--I did exactly what you are talking about--hooked it up to a line from the propane tank. The problem is that the heater has its own regulator on it, it needs to operate off an un-regulated line (also the pressure is about double what the regulator on your tank allows, which is part of the definition normally used for "outside use only"), which you can certainly do, but the danger factor of having a high pressure propane line inside your vehicle is really high. When it developes a leak, it will not be a faint smell that you notice vaguely and have to search out, it will be a cloud of white hissing gas, just like that puff when they release the pressure when they fill your tank.

Leon, Mary, Humo (mrew.), Claire (bark!) & WoodStock (69 bus hacked into pop up camper)