Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:26:38 -0600
From:         Fredrich Hesterberg <FredsVW@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: front heater problems 85'/Lord have Mercy!
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

And here is problem. You are only putting oil on outer bearing, not inner one behind fan that is most needed to be oiled. All this is big joke. Outside bearing is getting oil, none on the inside. the motor has two bearings. How now does this spraying or tube really work? I don't think it does or can. Not good enough to keep motor running anyway. And jut putting spray oil in the heater is bad too. It will never get to the bad bearing on the spot. It will only get everywhere on fan and motor not where needed.

Good Morning,

Fred

E-mail message

From: RAlanen@AOL.COM (Frank Condelli)

What chance is there that this atomized lubricant, carried by the air flow,=20 buffeted about by the eddy currents of laminar flow, is going to flush away=20 the dirt and soak into the self-lubricated bronze bearings?               The same change that got the dirt in the bearing in the first place. And, it is meant as a stop gap measure only. The fan will have to be changed cause the bearing is probably toasted Is it really a good idea to spray an atomized form of God-knows-what,=20

propelled by God-knows-what into an enclosure containing a sparking set of=20 electrical brushes?               I've been doing this without any problems. I did say not to flood it with lubricant. Will your kiddies be sucking up a molecular form of residual God-knows-what=20 every time the windshield is defogged?               Same as above. And, it's the same whether you spray it on parts right in front of you or at a distance. A few spritz of aresol spray lubricant ! Not the entire can. Let's be resonable. It's a stop gab measure ! Emergency use only. The fan motor needs to be changed !     Tracy was looking for a way to get her through a few more day without having to change the fan motor in the middle of this cold spell we're having. Do you really think it is a good idea to obstruct the air flow to a fan=20 cooled motor?               The cover for the bearing is what I'm presuming your concerned with here will not block the air flow. The bearing at the end of the motor is about 1" maybe 1-1/2" so the cover/cap I'm speaking of is to cover just this bearing ! Not the whole fan motor ! It will in no way restrict the air flow through the fan and heater assembley. Cheers   Frank Condelli

Fred