Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:15:35 -0500
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Rear view mirror video overlay project
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com>

Tim as cool as this is, why would you need Volta and GPS info at the same time?

1) Buy a "Y" cable and a video switcher from radio shack for $20 bucks US or so.

2) Split the video input coming from your rear view mirror cam with the Y. Send one input into the voltmeter black box, the other into the GPS black box.

3) Run the outputs of the seperate black boxes into the inputs of the switcher, run the output of the swicther to your LCD you are done. You can switch between volts or GPS at the touch of a button.

Now if you want to get fancy, instead of running the output of the switcher to the LCD, purchase a 2nd switcher and run the output of the first switcher to the input on the 2nd switcher. Buy a DVD player and run its output to an input on the 2nd switcher. Now you can flip between rear view with overlay to DVDs no overlay. Unless you want GPS or volt info on the LCD along with your DVD movies... but your could do that too by re jigging these options a bit.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:19:43 -0800 >From: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com> >Subject: Rear view mirror video overlay project >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >I am still working on using the 5.6" lcd screen that is mounted in place >of my rear view mirror for other purposes than a viewscreen for my rear >mounted camera. > >I found a couple of interesting solutions on the web which would overlay >text on the composite video signal. > >The first uses an RS-232 interface to provide up to 308 characters of >info. (http://www.icircuits.com/osd-232.htm) The programming example >in the photo on the bottom of the page would be a great starting point. > >Another example connects a GPS antenna/receiver and overlays the data >on the broadband video signal. (http://www.icircuits.com/osd- gps2.htm) >or (http://www.blackboxcamera.com/Stv5730a/gps.htm). > >The last example is a digital voltmeter which looks like it might make >a great interface for the Digitool. (http://www.riccibitti.com/dvm.htm) > >My ideal overlay would combine the GPS info and Digitool info for >overlaying on the video signal. That looks like it would call for >some microcontroller programming, circuit design and sensor building >(stamps) and I currently don't have that knowledge. Anyone out there >with any background in this area willing to help with design and >programming? > >Thanks, > > >===== >TJ Hannink >Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition >Winter Park, Florida >http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers >http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album > >__________________________________________________ >Do you Yahoo!? >New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo! >http://sbc.yahoo.com