Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:30:43 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: just how COLD is IT? - Friday
Comments: To: ian@bluemoon.hplx.net

and then driven with great respect (<3000rpm, <1/2 throttle) until the oil temperature is up to > 80 degrees C. > Now what the Vanagon needs is an oil temp gauge. :) > > ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net > '88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL --------------------------- Clip ---------------------------- ian Butler - Now what the Vanagon needs is an oil temp gauge. :) It takes as long as 20 minutes for a Vanagon Oil temp gauge to give you a reading, just as long to show that your engine has cooled down. While changing oil in an engine on my test stand yesterday I was trying to pour 30 wt oil. It was like STP, very thick. I literally had to squeeze the plastic bottles to get it out. The previous night temp was 22 degrees and the oil had been sitting on the floor near the garage door. I must assume that it was about 22 degrees. I didn't inspect the 15/50wt Mobil 1 because I expected the same. I'm not disagreeing with you ................ I haven't read the Vanagon owner manual to see what they say. Vehicles take a real beating in winter months; I re packed my CVs / Front Wheel Bearings recently when the temps were in the 30s and the lubrication was so thick on both it was easy to see that those parts were not getting lubricated until friction heat developed enough to make the grease flexible / flowable. When I replaced the rear axle bearings I found large pockets of grease that had solidified and bearings that were beginning to show the approaching death markings of blue color. That requires a lot of heat to achieve. When I start my Air Cooled engine first thing in the morning it races to about 1200 rpms for about 30 seconds then settles back to about 1000 then on down to 800/900 rpms. All of this happens in less than two minutes. (anytime, any temperature). Currently my oil pressure gauge seldom gets off 5 bar after a twenty minute run (local driving) and on the highway it still hangs in at 3.5 bar when fully heated up. We're talking about Air Cooled here so it might not even be relevant to your reply. I'm sure that manufacturers consider these winter conditions and specify proper lubrications but after all they are in the parts business too.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com