Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:07:58 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: How Cold Is It? (NVC)
Comments: To: "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>

I lived in Alaska for 30 years. I spent one winter in a valley in the Brooks Range north of the Yukon River, and it was one of the coldest of winters ever. 'Course that far north the sun was always very low or below the horizon from the valley and we lived in darkness or purple shadow except when the moon was up. No solar energy for us. But even on the darkest of nights, the night glow from the star field above reflecting off that pure white snow provided some visibility. Got so cold the smoke from the chimney on the cabin rose about 2 inches, slide over the chimney edge, then tumbled down the roof to the ground.

Had neighbors in a cabin across the little valley and if you yelled loud you could communicate in that arctic stillness. By this time of that year - January - the cold had really settled in hard. One morning it was so cold that the metal bolts in the hinges holding the door in place had frost on them on the inside of the cabin, even with the old steel barrel stove glowing cherry red hot.

As I did every morning, I went for firewood, and waited from my usual hail from the neighbors. Nothing! Then I realized there was not a sound anywhere. No snow crunch from walking, no Robber Jay noise, nothing. As I went back in with my firewood, I noticed the thermometer on the tree by the cabin had bottomed out at -40 F. How cold it really was I couldn't tell. I was puzzled over the lack of sound outside, then it dawned. It was so cold that sound had stopped, trapped in the cold.

Yessir, that was a winter to remember. It was so cold we had to wait for spring thaw to hear what had been said between neighbors!!!

John Rodgers Alaska Sourdough, Retired 88 GL Driver Now Living in the Warm South!!!! ( Alabama where it is 6 degrees F this morning in my patch of woods)