Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:19:14 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      How far is this Vanagon insanity going to go?
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Engine test stand results; (Everything is related to type IV Air Cooled Engines) My goal in building an engine test stand was to simply run engines in for 20 minutes, retorque everything and then run them in for an hour or two with fresh oil changes making valve adjustments, recording oil pressures, recording manifold vacuum readings and eventually checking compression readings. I'm finding a few things I didn't expect. The first thing was simply that the engines will accept retorquing after they've been warmed a few times. The most common shrinkage is in the cylinder base / head gaskets. The deck height can change by reducing .005 / .008 from heads and gaskets seating in. One of the other discoveries can relate to both Wasserboxers and Air Cooled. When running in the first engine I installed a clear braided crankcase ventilator hose. (because it was handy, no planning involved) On first running of the engine there wasn't any thing to report other than simply an easy start and good running engine. The second time I ran the engine before an oil change was several days later after the local temperatures had vacillated from 60 degrees down to 22 degrees (f) over about a one week time frame. (Humidity ranges from 29 to 78% with dew points I didn't think to record. ) On this run (#1 a restart with the first oil) I noticed moisture being drawn into the clear ventilator crankcase tube (tube had a loop), the moisture collected in the lowest part of the hose. Since Dad is a Diabetic and I'm familiar with cc of syringes I'm guessing that I collected .5 cc of moisture in the tube. I relate this to moisture that had condensated in the crankcase during the one week of inactivity. With the second oil change (approximately one hour of running) the engine had set for another week and when I ran the engine this time I got the same results of .5 cc of moisture in the crankcase ventilator tube. (.5 cc is about ten drops of water.) Each morning since about January 5th I've had either dew or frost on my Vanagon windows, this relates to high humidity at ideal dew point conditions. I have no idea whether this moisture was clinging to the crankcase interior or had drained down into the oil. Whatever the case is the moisture cooks out of the crankcase and is sucked up through the ventilator. The volume of moisture isn't sufficient to render you engine non-functional but could account for engines racing slightly from water injection in first start of the day. I haven't run an engine on a daily basis to date to see how much moisture might be collecting in just an overnight sitting but it will be interesting to see if it is even present or measurable. I don't think I'm going to waste my time titrating the water to establish acid content because I simply think the moisture is benign. If you've stayed with this posting you deserve to know what its really about; Here is my take on these results. #1) If you let your van sit for as long as a week in winter months, run it for a few minutes before you drive. #2) You can temporarily install some clear tubing on your crankcase ventilator and see if your engine is collecting condensation. #3) I'm going to run this test on my daily driver 83 Westy to see how much moisture I'm collecting. #4) Can this moisture be prevented? No I don't think so unless you move to an area with very low humidity. #5) I often find rust inside valve covers, I suspect that they collect the most condensation (hard to tell since I can't see the inside of the engine). #6) How this effects me is simply that I will run some STP with the last run in oil before I drain it and provide filtered ventilation to the crankcase of stored rebuilt engines. My reasoning: In one gallon glass pickle jars in my garage with the lids sealed, I get condensation. On one gallon pickle jars stored in my garage with loosely fitting lids I don't get condensation moisture. (I use the pickle jars for bolt, gasket, small parts storage deserving a big container.) #7) I must ask myself; How far is this Vanagon insanity going to go?

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com