Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:25:33 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV article now available - I'm confused (long)
Comments: To: tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM

Not my article and haven't seen it but I'm assuming that you want to just rotate the axles per-say like a baton so the previous inner is now the outer which should put them in a position of loading the ball races on the opposite side. I've seen scaling in CV races, both the large outer and smaller inner drive area. It caused them to be noisy and certainly enhanced the wear factor ten fold. If you get almost zero lubrication it tends to break the bearing cages. I think the trick is to eliminate the chance of this happening. Most effectively eliminated by 30K service and re packing of the CV drives with proper lubricant and keeping good boots on them so moisture doesn't play a role in the destruction.

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:39:58 -0800 Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM> writes: > I'm confused about the issue of reversing the direction of rotation > of the > axles to extend the life of the CV. In the article it states: > ------------------------------------------------------- > "Assume you're looking at the back of the van, > and the CVs are labeled with letters, like this: > > > A------B Transmission C------D > > > You can move the axles so that the letters now read: > > > C------D Transmission A------B (option 1) OR > D------C Transmission B------A (option 2) > > These two configurations will result in the CVs being > reversed. Note, however, that the following > configuration will NOT reverse the CV joint rotation: > > B------A Transmission D------C > > IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU MOVE THE AXLES TO > THE OTHER SIDE OF THE VAN, THE ROTATION > WILL BE REVERSED." > > (emphasis added) > ------------------------------------------------------- > > I grabbed the cardboard tube inside a roll of toilet paper and > labeled the > left side "C" and the right side "D" and then drew arrows above the > letters > pointing away from me: > > ^ ^ > | | > C D > > This shows the direction of rotation of the axle on the right side > of the > van in the first diagram. > > If I move the roll to the left side, as in option 1, it ends up > looking > exactly the same: > ^ ^ > | | > C D > > so the statement "In other words, if you move the axles to the other > side of > the van, the rotation will be reversed" does not seem to be > literally true. > > Option 2 orientation, however, results in the arrows pointing toward > me > ("down" on this page) as: > > D C > | | > v v > > (The D and C should be upside down and backwards, but you get the > idea.) > > Which *does* reverse the rotation of the axle. > > And the last diagram - the orientation of axles on the same sides as > they > were, only flipped end-for-end, looks exactly the same as Option 2" > > D C > | | > v v > > which, again, has the direction of the axle's rotation reversed from > what it > was. > > So it looks to me that if the object of the exercise is to reverse > the > *rotation* of the axle then Option 2 should work as should flipping > axles > end-for-end. > > Thinking that the term "rotation of the axle" wasn't the term the > author > really intended to use, I redid my cardboard tube as follows: > > ^ > | > C D > | > v > > which reflects the pressure the joints on the right-hand axle "feel" > under > driving load, i.e., the C joint has the torque of the transmission > urging it > "forward" while the D joint is overcoming the inertia of the > vehicle. > > The Option 1 orientation looks like > > ^ > | > C D > | > v > ญญญ > that is, the D joint is now being urged forward while the C joint is > resisting, a change from the original orientation. > > But Option 2 looks like > > ^ > | > D C > | > v > > resulting in *no* change from the original orientation. > > And the final diagram in the article would likewise look like: > > ^ > | > D C > | > v > resulting in *no* change in pressures from the original orientation. > > I'm going to assume that the author is correct and that simply > flipping the > axles end-for-end on the same side of the transmission as they were > originally is *not* accomplishing anything since I've read this sort > of > remark in various places. However, looking back through the > diagrams I've > constructed, that says the *only* orientation that works is Option > 1, that > is: > > C------D Transmission A------B. > > Am I smoking my socks here folks? > > --------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young '81 Vanagon > Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia > --------------------------------------------------------------- > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Ben McCafferty" <ben@VOLKSCAFE.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 6:44 AM > Subject: CV article now available > > > > Good morning everyone, > > My first tech article is now available on the Volks Cafe website, > covering > > CV joint diagnosis, maintenance and replacement. From the home > page, look > > for it under "New Items", or use this link: > > http://volkscafe.com/articles/cvarticle/cvarticle.html. > > > > It is quite lengthy and detailed, and I'd love any and all > feedback. The > > next article, which covers oil pressure diagnosis and treatment as > well as > > OP gauge installation, will be out later this week. > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com