Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:56:52 -0600
From:         Open Wheel Racing <openwhel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Main bearings/rod bearings/bolts
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>

Hi Mike,

I didn't see any of the prior posts on this, so this may have already been offered. I have a couple of questions. Do you know what type rings were used? Were they chrome, chrome/molly, or cast iron? Is this a shop rebuild or a home rebuild? Were the cylinder walls and pistons "miked", or were new parts used? I assume you mean to run this 5000 RPM's for ten minuets, "fix" freewheel, in other words the van sitting still, engine running in neutral? I would never do that to any stock engine! Maybe a "Blueprinted" race engine, but never to a un-balanced, un-clearanced, stock engine. If the engine was rebuilt using chrome-molly, or cast iron rings, installed properly in properly honed, true cylinder walls, the rings should have seated long ago! I would guess that you have another problem such as: The cylinder walls were not true, chrome only rings used, or something installed wrong. If the mechanical items were right, and chrome only rings were used then you may have a "seating in problem".Otherwise You may be out of luck. Enough babbling, what should you do? Well you do have at least one option that I know of. When Chevrolet first introduced their V8 in 1955, it had a chrome ring "seating" problem. The recommended fix was to take a sock filled with Comet, or Bon-namie (check spelling) powder cleaned, you would hold the engine at about 2500 RPM's, and "pat" the sock in your hands several times, causing the dust to be drawn into the air intake. The dust is abrasive and would break the "glaze" in the cylinders allowing the rings to seat. I have heard of this being done to large industrial diesel engines also. Use caution here, only one application is recommended, and only if you have "Chrome only" rings, not chrome/molly rings. I'm not sure if anyone even makes chrome only rings for this engine, they are not very popular any more because of this very problem. Chrome rings just wont seat on an un-true cylinder wall they are just to hard. It is easy to tell what type ring you have before installing them. Looking at the "top" ring from the set, edge on. Chrome only top rings will be shinny edge on, they are the hardest, harder than the cylinder walls, lasting better, but will seat good only if the walls are true. Chrome/molly top rings will be three layered edge on, a dark gray or black layer, chrome layer, dark gray or black layer. They are a combination of the best of both worlds, the molly seats quickly, the chrome is long lasting. Cast iron top rings will be a single color, gray or black, no layers edge on. Cast iron rings are the softest and seat very quickly, but only have about half the life of chrome rings. Anyway in my humble opinion, try the comet dust if you know you have very straight cylinder walls, and chrome only rings. Because other wise with as many miles as you have on the engine, ring seat is most likely not going to be your problem, and a mechanical problem will be. Such as cylinder walls worn out, a broken ring, ring installed upside down, ring gaps to large, etc, etc. I hope this is not information already offered, like I said, I missed the earlier posts on this. Good luck, let us know!

Howard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Miller" <mwmiller@CWNET.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:29 AM Subject: Main bearings/rod bearings/bolts