Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:36:46 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Main bearings/rod bearings/bolts
Comments: cc: mike miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com>

Mike and the list

while its not uncommon for new rings to take there time seating I asked myself a couple of questions as I read this thread. First did this rebuild include new pistons and cylinders or just rings. what brand rings ? and did the cylinders get straightened with a ridged honed and measured or did they only have the a light hone to brake the glaze in hopes of the rings sealing. 800 miles to a quart of oil is not a reason to take the engine apart but you need to keep a eye on the oil level. The idea of revving the engine with no load on it at 5K and holding it there is foolishness even if you had a load on it that's no way to treat an engine. The clearance of the piston to the cylinder cold is approximately one 1/3 the thickness of a dollar bill and in all my engines I remove the pistons rehone the cylinders and add .001th at least to fit clearance this also gives me a chance check the rings and insure the cylinder is round. The 2.1 engines originally had a stretch to yield con rod bolts and that is a problem that develops over time not due to the RPM. On my rebuilt engines I use the 1.9 rod bolts when I rebuild the con rods because I fell that is a better bolt over the long run based on the measurements of the countless used 1.9 and 2.1 rods I have inspected. The fuel mixture if set to rich can dilute the oil and this could increase the oil consumption and prevent the rings from sealing Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com all rights reserved