Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:55:39 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Heater Box Question and Front Air Conditioning Revisited

Hi Tom,

I would be extremely interested in working with you to design a solution to either integrate an AC evaporator in the stock front heater unit or simply fit another unit in place with the heater and AC built in. I have been thinking of doing that for several years now. Maybe if we put our heads together we can come up with a workable option.

Other benefits would be to use all of the existing Vanagon venting and not give up any fresh air only vents as with solution highlighted by Larry Chase a few months back.

I live in Rochester NY and my wife's family is located in Lockport NY near Buffalo. Aside from being an average little town with a bunch of locks on the Erie canal, it is also the place where Delphi (formerly Harrison Radiator) manufactures all of the radiators and evaporative systems for the GM product line. Delphi also manufactures custom components for other brands. The point of this is that I have some friends, who are car nuts, and have discussed the lack of efficient AC in our Vanagons. One of my friend is an AC engineer designing AC efficiency for the Saturns. What I'm offering is that if we (you, I and the List(s)) come up with a suitable evaporator, I could get my buddy to help us engineer the piping, hoses, electronics and compressor requirements.

I own an 89 Syncro Westfalia with an existing AC system blowing from the rear of the van. The rear passenger are quite cozy while the front passenger and myself are baking in the summer. I know that I also need to do some work on my heater unit to close off and reseal the incoming air flaps. In the summertime warm air continues to come in being detrimental to whatever the poor rear AC is trying to blow forward. This is probably the case in most of our 11+ year old vans where the rubber foam has deteriorated. I would want to continue to have the rear AC plus whatever solution we can come up with in the front.

Please let me know how I can contribute to this project to get efficient AC in our vans.

Thank You,

Joel warming up to 25 in Rochester