Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:26:43 -0500
From:         Clarence J Falarski <lamont@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      VW book of problems & answres

Fellow listies:

I would like to share an idea of mine with all of you.

As we all know there is a lot of trash that may be somehow related to Vantages that appear on the list from time to time. Things like a Vanagon wave or other stupid ideas like that only take time away from those people who have real problems or suggestions or who want to help another Vanagoners in need. VW people have been waving to each other now for generations and is nothing new, we did it in the 50's and 60's. The listies also have a lot of great information to share with other listies to help us get thru our misfortunes, trials and tribulations and I hope that my idea can help others like it has helped me on occasion.

Now for my idea. The list members share a lot of wonderful ideas, and are always eager to help each other. A great many problems that occur to us are somewhat common to all of us at one time or another. Things like leaking heads, heater problems or electrical problems will one day get all of us and we look to the aid of the list to share our woes. We hit the archives but it may take hours upon hours to find our answer or perhaps after searching we get frustrated and give up and post our problem. The answer we get will be " check the archives " and rightly so, because it has been discussed before.

I have chosen to print out all the postings concerning the most common problems and the remedies that have been posted to repair those problems. I have punched holes in the pages and have them stored in a large notebook alphabetically and have identification tabs for each category. ELECTRICAL, a large red tab with smaller clear tabs for sub titles such as headlights, battery problems, tail lights, etc.etc. COOLING, a large green tab, with smaller clear tabs with thermostat, hoses, etc.etc.

This book I keep in the van and am ever updating with information that can always be referred to w/o having to hit the computer. It is also handy when traveling because computers are not always around if and where we might break down. This notebook is handier than the computer and if I don't have the information I need then I hit the list archives and print out what I want and file it .

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, perhaps it will help someone in need and on the road some where sometime. Please offer any suggestions that you may feel are germane to my thoughts about improving my notebook.

regards, clarence 1990 multi pinehurst, nc.