Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:50:57 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: replace an 86 clock with a tac?
Comments: To: wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET

In a message dated 1/29/03 12:41:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET writes:

> I am wondering how hard it would be to replace the analog clock on a 1986 > Westy, with a 1987 dash that has a tach? > > My friends westy has some parts in his dash that are not working. Some of > the plastic that holds the components in place have been broken over the > years too. So, he bought a dash of a 1987 for $30 at a junk yard. Not too > bad. > > We sized it up, we wondered, can we keep his speedo & switches, and swap > out the clock for the tach? The dash he bought does have a nice lil' > digital clock in the middle. > >

this is all in the archives.. you say your friend has a 86 westy and it has no tach? im assuming its a non-GL westy weekender then as all 86 westy full GL campers had the tach. anyway on the '84 down vans i know you have to run a wire up to the dash from the coil and swap the pin connectors around in the 14point pin connector that powers the inst cluster, but you might be lucky and the 86 already be pre-wired for the tach... might as well try and plug it in, and see what happens. if not, check the archives on this and it shows what pins to switch around and how to run the wire from the coil. chris