Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:22:45 -0600
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Curves (no Vanagon content)
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

OK, having taught this stuff and having even done a fair amount of work studying "hyperbolic geometry" I thought I had to comment on the answers already given.

- First, what is a "hyperbolic" curve. I know what a hyperbola is (its a conic section), but I'm not entirely sure what is meant by a hyperbolic curve.

- A cantenary is (as someone pointed out) the curve formed by a hanging rope. the equation of such a curve is a fairly easy derivation. It should be easy to either just do the derivation or find it in either a calculus or differential equations book.

- The method for drawing an ellipse was correct. An ellipse can be shown to have this property: "Ellipse is the set of points whose sum of the distance to the foci is a fixed constant." A hyperbola can be shown to have the similar property but you look at the difference of distances.

Well, I've got to run, but that is the summary. I don't know a quick way to draw a hyperbola, if thats what you want.

Blake