Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:47:25 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adjusting Valves 78 Air Cooled
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

The so called proper setting is two turns down but I also usually use one turn as that is sufficient. After making that adjustment, you must wait a while to let the lifters that were pumped up to bleed down a little. Sometimes as long as an hour. Be patient. Just like the Vanagons, you will occasionally get a lifter that will become air bound and not pump up right away. In this case, let the engine warm up for 10-15 minutes, and then drive it. You may need to run it at high RPM to get it to quiet down. If it happens frequently, you have a bad lifter.

Dennis