Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:06:25 -0500
From:         john Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>
Subject:      FS - 82 diesel Vanagon

Those of you with long memories might _remember_ me buying this awhile ago, but life's crazy and it has to go. Was going to put the interior from my Carat into it but realized how I loved her so the 82s not needed.

The good: 82 Diesel Vanagon. Stock 1.6 we'll-get-there-eventually diesel engine. Runs well, a little diesel smoke on cold start but fine otherwise. Got 30+mph on the last trip. Was a CA car so no rust except for a little surface under the pedal cluster and a little where it was scraped at some point by the rear right wheel well. Interior is out and being cleaned at the moment but will be reinstalled, but unfortunately there are no rear seats. Fronts are nice however.

The bad: There's a loose connection on the instrument cluster that came up every once and awhile. The biggie is the main seal failed and saturated the clutch so both need to be replaced. Engine did not overheat, however. While it's a simple job life, work, and home renovations mean it won't get done this lifetime.

So if you're interested in an excellent base for a subie or I4 conversion, or you just want dirt cheap transportation, this is perfect.

More info and pics available on request. Open to offers -- just give it a good home and don't part her - she's too nice.

John Virginia Beach, VA

(not the most intelligent beast on the planet)