Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:48:28 -0800
From:         Brad Fowler <pod@FLASHMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil light & buzzer

That doc would be excellent! I'm new to the list and am going through the same thing with my 1986 GL - buzzer comes on after long trips when rpms drop. It's a pain to get to that sensor - even after removing the water pump flywheel.

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 10:30, Ben McCafferty wrote: > Dollars to donuts you have the incorrect oil pressure sender for the >2000 > RPM range. It's the one by the water pump and belts, and should be grey > (.75-1.05 bar). You probably have the blue one, which is roughly twice the > pressure rating. You can probably see it with a mirror, but if not, may > have to remove it. I will have an article on the Volks Cafe site later this > week which includes, among other things, instructions for getting to this > switch without too much headache. > tx, > bmc :) > Ben McCafferty > ben@volkscafe.com > > Volks Cafe > 1823 Soquel Avenue > Santa Cruz, CA 95062 > 831-426-1244 > http://volkscafe.com > > > > From: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET> > > Reply-To: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET> > > Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:01:58 -0800 > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Oil light & buzzer > > > > The oil light and buzzer came on yesterday after slowing down on an exit > > ramp after prolonged 65+mph on the freeway. This happened once before when > > I first got my 90 Multivan. I changed to 20W50 and it has been fine for a > > year. (By the way, the buzzer stopped shortly and I checked oil, coolant, > > etc) > > > > I recently had the oil changed and this is the first time I've taken it for > > a prolonged stint on the highway. Could any or all of the following be the > > problem: > > > > 1) Mechanic used wrong oil. (Unlikely since he's a great VW mechanic) > > 2) The coolant was below minimum line. (Fixed this) > > 3) The oil level was slightly above the max line. (I checked this after the > > oil change and it was right in the center but the engine was only slightly > > warmed up) > > 4) I added 4 oz. of MMO after oil change to quiet the lifters. Could this > > have affected the oil weight enough? > > > > The filter is the right type and the buzzer and light didn't come on during > > the return trip. Any ideas? Is this just a "vanagon ghost" that will haunt > > me off and on? > > > > Debra Clark > > Santee, California > > clark10006@cox.net > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Marc Perdue" <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:07 AM > > Subject: Power steering fluid? > > > > > >> Stupid question time! In my '87 Westy's manual, it specifies ATF Dexron > > as the > >> power steering fluid. When I went to my FLAPS looking to get some, I > > found Type > >> II, Type III, and Type F. Which is appropriate for my van? > >> > >> Thanks, > >> Marc Perdue >