Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:35:41 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Woofer Recommendations - Summary
Comments: To: lchase@attglobal.net
Comments: cc: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          wetwesties@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          ev_update@yahoogroups.com

I'm really disappointed that my portable speakers didn't even get honorable mention. Matthew Pollard wrote me implying that I was trailer trash for creating such an atrocity. (You don't want to know my reply to him). I see that my solution is absolutely the best since the speakers are disposable as well as portable. If you limit the number of holes you put in the box and forego the upholstery exterior you should be able to move them fairly quick in a garage sale after your trip. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/speakers.htm

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:45:25 -0800 "Larry Chase" <lchase@attglobal.net> writes: > Volks, > > Thanks for all the suggestions on the SubWoofer question. > > Thought others might like to see a summary of the ideas submitted. > > Have not made a decision as to what approach I'll take so input > gladly > accepted. > > Summary. > > Vehicle 1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia Syncro. > > The Stereo shop did a good over all job installing a sound system, > but > misunderstood instructions concerning the subwoofer. They installed > a > really nice 10" sub in a standard box and under the rear seat to > the > left of the heater box. Pretty much filled the whole space > available. > > Sounds great and I'm pretty happy with performance. But of course > can't > afford to loose the storage space. > > So I'm searching for a more space conservative approach that sounds > as > good or "better". > > Would prefer a non-powered solution. Although if an approach like > the > Infinity Basslink or something else really sounded so much better > .... > I'm open to a powered approach. > > So far ... Folks have suggested: > > 1. 8" Bazooka tube behind the drivers seat or under rear seat. > 2. Infinity Basslink in the bottom of the wardrobe closet. > 3. JL Audio 8.1 Micro Sub behind the drivers seat. > 4. 10" sub in a standard box custom built to fit in the bottom of > the > wardrobe closet. > 5. 2 10" subs installed under each front seat. > 6. 8" square "Kicker Solobaric" > 7. custom built solution ... > "a pair of Rockford Punch 8" speakers mounted clam shell "Isobaric" > style, in a sealed box. > The box is made from MDF and is less than one cubic foot (external > dimensions). The magnet structure of the outside speaker (top half > of > the clam) protrudes so it takes up a bit more space, but it fits > under > the seat and uses about half the space between the heater and the > drivers side. Still room for a large variety of stuff. Powered with > 300 > Watts of Phoenix Gold power (overkill) crossed over on an 18db slope > at > around 95 hz. Isobaric means you are using twice the power (2 X > voice > coils) to drive the same surface area which is where the advantages > and > disadvantages come in. The phase of the speakers are reversed and > they > face each other. So basically two speakers, one box and one hole." > > Any other ideas or opinions about the above suggestions? > > Larry Chase > Email: lchase@attglobal.net > Web: www.roadhaus.com - Coming Soon! > What: The Great North American Road Trip > When: Feb 22, 2003 > How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro > Today: Los Osos, CA / Go Westy > From: Mesa, AZ > > > > > > > To help support WetWesties, please buy your books through the > WetWesties Bookstore. Just follow this > link:http://www.clubvw.corvallis.or.us/wetwesties/books.html > To leave us: wetwesties-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com