Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:35:14 -0800
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      TDI or TDD? (fwd)

respond to him, not me please

Matthew Pollard "Racing with the wind and flirting with death Dept. Of Chemistry So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath" University of Idaho www.uidaho.edu/~poll7356

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:40:18 +0000 From: "amigauoznet <amigau@oz.net>" <amigau@oz.net> Reply-To: Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com To: Vanagon-EngConv@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Vanagon-EngConv] TDI or TDD?

OK everyone, i'm hearing two stories out there, that you can install a TDI diesel in a vanagon and/or that you have to use a TDD - which is it?

my wife has a 2000 Beetle TDI and we couldn't be happier with it but is that the motor you can also install in the Vanagon with a kit, or is it an older TDI motor?

And is the TDD motor an updated version of the old early 80's rabbit/vanagon diesel motor? A person at a local VW shop just did a conversion with one of these and he says you can't do a TDI, only this motor (which I don't believe) but that this motor is better than in the 80's because the pistons are now a bit bigger or longer for more torque and not so much gutlessness like in either 80's car (rabbit diesel or 80-82 vanagon diesel).'

Thoughts? I have an 84 Vanagon that is finally running again (gas motor at the moment) but eventually I'd like to convert it, probably in the next year or so (or when the gas motor finally dies off).

The local VW guy did say that the kit you can buy from VW is complete, you just pull the old engine out and put the new one in with all the hardware, etc. I presume you wire up a glow plug light for the dash too, right?

kevin

"Doing the work VW's engineering department wouldn't"