Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:18:25 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <undergroundboy01@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Finito on 320i and T/C 3.8 troubles(MVC)
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

My Jimmy with a 4.3 has just skipped time and won't start. If the chain is what skipped time (how!?!?) then the repair would cost more than the $$$ needed to get my '87 Vanagon back on the road. I'm trying to close on a house right now, so I don't have the loose cash to throw around like that, so I've been doing some serious thinking.

Nissan and related products, such as your 320i, will run forever if properly maintained. The lady's '95 Sentra has always been there to save my ass whenever anything else broke down. A friend's '95 Corolla has had wheel bearing, steering, and engine trouble; the Sentra has a new water pump and that's it. Both have around 80K. If Kennedy's website was a bit clearer on which Nissan engines could be adapted to a bus, I'd seriously think about doing an adaption.

Cheers, Sam

--- Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET> wrote: > Thanks to all that posted privately and to the list > on my "other vehicle > troubles. I'll try to keep these mostly off topic > posts to a minimum, but > hen you're relying on your Vanagon for the only > vehicle for a 72 hour > period, well, that's a little scary!! > > Problem with the 320i was partially the Haynes > manual's fault and partially > mine. Afte buying new plug wires for it and cap and > rotor, I looked up the > firing order and took the manual to say the rotor > went clockwise so the > 1342 firiing order was set up. After further > research in the back of the > manual under"north american version cars" guess > what? The transistorized > ignition system for the US cars rotates counter > clokwise thereby having the > 2 and 3 plugs on the wrong cap position. DOH!!!! > Guess we'll be reading > the back of the book first from now on!! > > The Chrysler problem was also wire related, but an > incomplete job of > scraping off of the old gasket from the top of the > air plenum(gonna use a > mirror next time) was creating a vacuum leak(which I > knew about after > shooting ether at the joint). Since I had just put > the new gasket on, I > surmised that the problem was at the injector seal. > > Moral of the story: If I ever give you advice on > anything but a VW, be > skeptical as hell!! > > DM&FS