Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:07:12 -0800
From:         Ki <ki@CLOUDFACTORY.ORG>
Subject:      advice needed on selling or parting out tiico syncro.

hi all, so after quite a bit of thinking i've come to the difficult decision(90%) that i need to get rid of my 87 syncro. the only thing that is holding me back is the amount of money i've dumped into it(which is also one of the main reaons i feel like i need to get rid of it!!). if i had the job that i did 2 years ago i would definitely keep it without thinking twice, but times are much tougher these days and i can't justify dumping any more money that i don't have into it. also i live in california and my smog is coming up and unfortunately i installed the tiico engine under the assumption that it was smog legal(any other ca. tiico owners out there feel like they were slightly deceived when they purchased the tiico conversion?)

so i'm trying to decide whether to sell the van whole or part it out. about the only thing wrong with the van now is some body damage on the sliding door where it ends where my girlfriend ran into one of those steel posts that protect gas pumps and some rust on the side rear wheel flare area.).

Things i've done in the past year and a half) 1. entire tranny rebuild(replaced everything thing that is replaceable) by weddle engineering $2400 2. tiico engine with under 20,000 miles($4k) 3. new rebuilt starter(200 +) 4. new front rotors and ball bearings(withlabor $1k) 5. master cylinder on clutch(can't remember how much) 6. new steering pump($600 with labor).

so any suggestions on whether i should part it out or sell it whole? it would be a little more difficult to sell it in ca since it isn't smog legal which would exclude any potential ca resident from purchasing.

or should i just keep it considering how much money i've dumped into it?

my original plan was to keep it forever and not fix the body damage and just drive it into the ground. i truly love my van for it's functionality and usefullness but the fact that everything that goes wrong with it is usually 2x more expensive to fix than a non syncro van is sucking my bank account dry. i think i'm just looking for a reason(any reason to keep it).

ki