Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:59:34 -0500
From:         Neil Wasbrikoff <wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Power steering belt problems...

Hi Volks,

I have a 1987 Westy, which has 116k miles on it. In June, I had a very thorough tune up done, including replacing all of my belts.

In the last month, my power steering belt has come off twice while I'm driving. The circumstances each time were both very similar. Each time the belt came off, I was going 55 mph, taking a turn, and decelerating at the time time: i.e. coming off the freeway, on an off ramp while turning to the right. I'll have power steering, until about the middle of the turn. Then I will notice it's not working. I have been able to pull over, and start the belt back on the pulley and slowly spin the pulleys to get it back on. The problem has never happened while driving straight, or at slow speeds. It's always when I decelerate from 55 while turning. While the belt is on, it feels very tight. I just had a follow up at my mechanics, and they tightened all of my belts again, and it still occurred.

Would anyone have an idea of what I should have a closer look at to get this fixed? Could my pulley head be so worn that my belt comes off when I take corners 35 +? Any idea of parts or cost I might be looking at to have this fixed?

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks in advance, Neil :)

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp