Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 2003 13:43:50 -0800
From:         Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      The Vanagon Executive, a True Story

The Vanagon Executive, a True Story One beautiful Saturday evening, we arrive in the Bavarian village of Leavenworth, Washington. Looking for a campsite, we drive along Icicle Creek only to be greeted by "Campground Full" signs. Evening is fast approaching, so we decide to be extravagant and spend the night in the "luxury" campground by the river. In the past, they had a few non-hookup sites for less.

We enter the park with its manicured lawns and country club like atmosphere. The first reaction of the attendant upon noticing us, "Sorry, all sites are occupied." One more glance at his log, and he says, "Oh wait, there is one drive through site available, but it's $28.00, and it`s by the big rigs." "Ouch, but then again, it would be nice to take a long hot shower, and perhaps spend an hour in the spa.". So we hand over the money, and he shows us the site.

It's getting dark, when I pull the westy into the site, and it's perfectly level. Well, at least, the fridge likes it, I think to myself. A moment later, I hear a heavy door opening next to us, accompanied by the sound of powerful electric servos. Curiously I turn, and then find myself shaking an outstretched hand. "I'm Richard." he says, and gesturing towards his rig, proclaims, "This is Morning Glory". I try to take it all in, and it reminds me of photos I have seen of the Great Wall of China, with extensions.

Having held my ground in this neighborly chit chat, I expect him to become bored soon, and go back up his polished aluminum stairs to watch his large screen TV, visible through the large window of "Morning Glory". That is how it usually happens, but not this time.

He strides around our westy in a gentlemanly like manner to the open sliding door. Then he asks, "Do your heads ever leak?" "Huh?, well no", I say, surprised at the question. "They are ceramic coated, and don't leak." "Oh!!, really", he says, truly impressed. "And that helps?" "Yes, it stops them from leaking." I say. "And what is that?" he asks, pointing at the heater, while it's making its little whining sounds. "Vented plat cat", I say. Now he looks really intrigued, and starts inspecting the plat cat. So I acquiesce and give him a full tour of the little westy camper. I'm a little overwhelmed by his unexpected enthusiasm for the vanagon westy, since I have never encountered this before on "Pusher Row". Only at Volkswagen gatherings have people shown so much interest. Finally I ask him, "How come you know so much about vanagons?" Before Richard has a chance to answer, I notice a pristine late model vanagon weekender drive up in front of his rig. It's color matching metallic paint and all. "Ah", he says, "I better go. My wife is back from shopping". "And tomorrow, I'll show you `Dinghy`." Harald Rust ©2003, all rights reserved