Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:37:24 -0600
From:         Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inverter Question
Comments: To: Greg Marshall <earthboy@ROGERS.COM>

Sounds to me like a small inverter... say 50-60 watts would take care of your needs. I would caution you to ensure that your battery charger will run properly on the "pseudo" sine wave voltage generated by low cost inverters. Probably you won't have a problem, but if you feel it start to overheat, you'll know it doesn't like the wave form.

As far as your 30 watt work light is concerned, I'd recommend you go with a 12 v fluorescent light of some kind. Inverters are not 100% efficient, so if you can run your light directly off the battery, you'll save some amp-hours for when you might really need them.

If you are in a situation where you may draw your main battery down substantially, go with a deep cycle marine type. If you're only drawing it down by 20-30%, any old run of the mill 12 v should do.

Dave in KC 85 Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Marshall" <earthboy@ROGERS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 7:53 PM Subject: Inverter Question