Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:43:14 -0800
From:         Randy Huyck <Fritz_H@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: head seal replacement
Comments: To: Ed Carroll <ecarroll@MAINE.RR.COM>

I had a bear of a time doing this last summer on my '85. About 70% of the difficulty was my own fault - things like not power-washing the whole engine (especially the bottom) before beginning, not clearing enough room in the garage to work comfortably, and working too hastily when I did carve out a couple of hours to spend only on the vanagon.

If you get everything clean, have enough room and enough uninterrupted and undistracted time, you'll probably get along just fine with the gasket kit and an intermediate set of tools (don't forget JB weld or new heads). The instructions found in the articles at vanagon.com were outstanding, in my opinion. The only thing I skipped was the removal of the pistons & cylinders.

The real killer for me is that I broke a head stud while installing the right head. Wait, that's not true - there were two rotted-out hoses I needed to replace, one of which seemed tougher to find than it should have been. I made the mistake of trying to get hoses from the dealer. Forget that - call Ken Wilford. I spent more time dealing with the stud and my quest for hoses than I did on the head r & r itself.

The only thing I'm not happy about is that I wasn't careful enough when installing one of the heads - I pinched a push rod seal and it leaks a ton of oil when I fill above the "add" mark. I have a spring-loaded tube that I'll put in soon.

Randy, Carla & Anna Huyck, Olympia, WA '75 Rustfalia '85 Vanagon GL '90 Fox GL '74 Super Beetle