Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:22:14 -0600
From:         Donald Baxter <donald.baxter@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT: ever own a VW Rabbit L?

My only comment about this car is that the 1980 and later models were such characterless imitations of their german-made Golf counterparts. I had both a 1975 german-made Rabbit (Golf) and a 1980 pennsylvania-made Rabbit as well. The 1980 was so Malibu-ish. The plastic wasn't as good, the seats not as firm or well formed, the upholstery was distinctly un-Volkswagen. The front, rear, and wheel treatments were distinctly American and detracted from the wonderful original design.

I also had a 1981 VW Dasher Diesel which I absolutely loved. The diesel was great and I actually managed to make it from Atlanta to Ann Arbor on one tank of fuel, averaging well over 40mpg at 75mph (of course it took a while to get it to 75, with 52HP). Head gaskets were a specific and common problem with these engines so just make sure you never overheat it!

I'd love to have a '78 Rabbit diesel myself--but even in this college town you don't see many old Rabbits. The US models were specifically prone to rust. Not a problem I had living in Georgia.

Donald Baxter '85 Vanagon GL '96 Passat GLX Iowa City IA