Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 2003 22:19:30 -0600
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Frugal to the nth

Folks, sometimes I'm just amazed at how little some of us want to spend on owning a set of wheels. People ask about fixing the unfixable instead of just biting the bullet and replacing it. Now if you're really into running it forever and spending nothing, and that's the challange, then that's OK. Actually I've done that myself, but realistically I don't think we're quite there as a group. Doing the little things that keep your wheels pleasant and running dependably are simply unavoidable. Replacing the wiper blades once a year or so, a door handle every 10 years--whats the big deal. Just do it, and have a vehicle that you can stand to drive. Drive it gently, and it will last practically forever. I get compliments on an '84 that shines like almost new, and more satisfaction from it than one that really is new, for its 15 minutes anyway.

I had pizza tonight with a guy and his wife who spent maybe half an hour telling us all the things that have happened with their new Chevy Blazer type thing. It was a long list, and some of it was really kind of annoying, I'll admit. He's seriously thinking of using the "Lemon law" to get out of this one, and into the car he thought he was buying when he parted with all that money. The payments on this thing add up to a VW rebuilt engine every 5 months. His gas mileage is 12MPG. My gosh, folks, we can take really good care of ours, and like them to boot.

By the way, my rabbit diesel is so rusty I just can't drive it anymore--the door falls off, and I can't find another body for it, but the engine still runs OK, and I was wondering if anybody knows if I can sort of graft it into a Geo body or something like that. The junkyard here has a long row of them that are still shiney bright. Please Pmail me.

Chuck Hill