Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:43:19 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch of not? Help
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

Jere, I went back and re-read your post. I got it partly wrong.

It sounds ike you could well have a leaking clutch master. I'm having the same problem. I will replace it shortly. However, my clutch fluid leaks inside onto the carpet.

As for the "Lump" feeling in the tranny --- I had that happen in my 85 GL tranny just before I had to have it rebuilt.

And whatever you do, go ahead and change fluids to the Redline MT 90. You will never regret it. I have been using it for a number of years now, and it solved some problems for me. I do change it every two years.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Jere Hawn wrote: > Hi All, > > > > TIA for those that can respond. My 88 GL is acting very funny and after > many hour of diagnostic I still can't narrow it down. Here are the > symptoms: > > > > When cold it shifts fine, maybe a little sticky I suspect a > slight misalignment of the linkage. > > > > When warmed up it acts like the clutch is bad, it wont shift > easily so I check the slave cylinder, looks good. But fluid is very > very low and I refill > > > > Still acts funny, hard to shift when warm but on occasion it > feels like there is a lump in the tranny or it can feel like an > automatic tranny. So I say is it the tranny, and I take it to jiffy > lube to change the tranny fluid I think they put in GL4 Symptoms appear > to be a bit better but still a bit sloppy/slushy. Then up under the > front I see oil and trace it back and I looks like it is dripping off > the *clutch master cylinder*?? I've never worked in that area of the > van so it is a mystery to me. > > > > The question is: > > > > Is the problem in the: > > > > a. slave cylinder > > b. clutch master cylinder > > c. tranny > > d. clutch > > > > Thanks again > > Jere >