Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:21:57 -0500
From:         Tim Ness <tim.ness@WCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for N Florida campsite suggestions

Doug, it sort of depends on what your route south is going to be. If you're heading down 95 on the east coast, there is a nice State Park right across the Georgia state line. It is Fort Clinch on Amelia Island, unfortunately anything on the Atlantic coast is not going to be very private. You may want to consider it as a good stopover point on the way to somewhere else and not a destination in itself. There is also Anastasia State Park near St. Augustine. If you are looking for anything along the Atlantic coast, remember that reservations are almost a most for week-ends. Don't forget that Spring Break is looming as well, I have no idea when it starts, just that I'd avoid it if you're looking for peace and quiet. Doug S. had a suggestion of Ft. Pickens in the panhandle. I agree that the panhandle is a better choice for privacy and beach time. Also along the panhandle is St. Joseph Peninsula St. Park. It is near Apalachicola (fantastic Oysters, check out Boss Oysters Restaurant if you have a desire for such delicacies). Route 98 along the Gulf coast south of Tallahassee is a nice break from Interstate driving. St. Joseph's is on the end of the peninsula and has miles of undeveloped beach. There are hike in camp sites where you won't have a soul around. Route 98 continues along the Gulf coast to Pensacola so you could check out both if you desire. Pmail me if you want any other info.

Tim Ness Raleigh, NC 87 Westy "Chunky Girl"