Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:37:49 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon 88-91 wrap around bumper?
Comments: To: superluckyninja@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 2/8/03 2:45:42 AM Pacific Standard Time, superluckyninja@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Bob, Yes, thats it! The 'side skirt' as Ben T called it. That is a very nice vanagon. The side skirt bumper, is that a special addition only on Carats? because I'd like to get them for my soon to be westy. does anyone know if there is a place that sells them, or should I go to junkyards and hunt? It is a very sexy addition. =] >>

Chris,

There is an aftermarket copy available from Winkler dealers. The US distributor for Winkler is Detlev Hanschke at Vanagon Projekt in Livermore, California. He is a listmember. The contact info I have for him is DeHanschke@aol.com. There is a link for his business in my webpage at:

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafelinkspage.html">VC Links</A>

You will also find a link to VanAgain in NJ in case they are closer to you. Ken Wilford is also a list member, frequent contributor and Winkler dealer.

Be forewarned that the Winkler kit is not user friendly to install. I have heard of folks on this forum who have successfully fitted these kits. You can see a picture of the kit installed on Detlev's Syncro at:

http://hometown.aol.com/realsf/SSF.html

The factory parts are much easier to fit and actually have plastic attachment hangers. They are first riveted to the body then the various pieces are screwed on to them. Whereas the Winkler kit needs something like adhesive strips, screws and rivets for attachment.

Of course, the Winkler pieces cost as much for the whole kit as just one bumper from the factory kit.

Try places like ebay. There is a side skirt on auction today. Last time I checked it was at $10.50 for one side and $15.50 for the other side. If that doesn't work, there are a number of used parts vendors on this forum who may be able to assist you albeit at greater cost. Then, there's the junk yards. If you get really desperate, you should still be able to order all the factory parts from the VW dealer. Be prepared to pay in arms and legs there.

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>