Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:55:38 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: o2 sensor question again sorry
Comments: cc: VW87JETAGL@AOL.COM

Patrick and fellow vanagon types I have found that when starting a new engine it is easy to load up the exhaust with unburned fuel and replacing the O2 sensor does not cure the problem. I have had more than one customer that could not get the injection system to lean out in there new engine until they disconnected the O2 sensor and drove the van for a couple of hundred miles. This allows O2 sensor and exhaust to clear itself out of soot and unburned fuel. The O2 sensor can be disconnected and the van will run ok in fact some people report that there mileage goes up This should not effect the cat if the van if properly tuned to begin with. The O2 sensor fine tunes the injection to increase the mileage and limit the emissions. Tuning the engine and setting the exhaust gasses should be done with the O2 sensor disconnected only then should the O2 sensor be connected and the gasses rechecked. I like and recommend the O2 meter that Ken Lewis makes and sells check it out at his web site its a good way to properly monitor and adjust the fuel mixture. http://Neksiwel.20m.com/ The European 2.1 with the 10 to 1 compression ratio is made to run on 98 octane leaded fuel so it has no capability to monitor an O2 sensor. These European high performance 2.1 engines use the digijet system and a good part of there increase in power comes from the ECU. I offer these ECUs to my customers when they purchase a big valve engine Keep in mind that there are silicones that will destroy the O2 sensor make sure you use only O2 sensor safe high temp silicones on the exhaust gaskets at the heads. I also use the same stuff on all coolant gaskets and seals Bob Donalds Boston Engine http://www.bostonengine.com all rights reserved