Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:54:28 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Steering Rack - 85' Vanagon GL w/power Steering
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <jtlincoln@PORTCITY.COM>

Jeff, Ron Salmon at the Bus Depot and Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com both carry the remanufactured power steering rack. They are in the neighborhood of $300 exchanged. There is an overhaul kit available, but unless you have a good set of automotive tools I don't reccommend that route.

I had an 85 GL and had to replace the Power Steering rack. Pretty straight forward job and I'm not an auto mechanic. I put the front end up on jackstands, disconnected the power steering lines, Loosened the attaching nuts and bolts, but I didn't mess with anything that would substantially change the steering alignment. I forced the splined coupling for the steering shaft open the tiniest bit so the unint would slide off, and it was out. Just reverse to go back in. After hooking up the hoses, and filling the power steering fluid tank, I cycled the pump by turning the steering wheel back and forth to the stops several time. This gets rid of the air in the system.

You might have the front end alignment checked after doing this.

Also, don't waste your money on a used unit from wrecking yard. This is a safety item and you don't want a problem with it.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

eff Lincoln wrote: > Ok, a few months ago I noticed I was going through an insane amount of power steering fluid. So I took the Vanagon into our local import mechanic (whom I sorta trust but haven't really gotten to know him yet - could go either way). Anyhow he told me that my problem was that my rack was broken. So I cut the belt to save my power steering pump and have been driving w/manual steering. I don't mind that much but the fiancée hates it and I figure anything "broken" can't be good for the health of my machine. > > So does anyone have an idea where I can get one for a decent price? The local mechanic that I spoke of said he could get it for around $400 - $600. I called local junkyards but Vanagon parts seem to be scarce here. I haven't found it online either - though I have to admit I haven't checked every site I know of yet. > > Also, do you think this is something I could replace myself or is this a HUGE job? > > Thanks ahead of time for any help or advice. > > Jeff Lincoln > 85' Vanagon GL >