Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:45:28 -0500
From:         SStones <sstones@IDIRECT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery went dead

At 08:55 AM 2/12/03 -0700, Someone wrote:

>I recall a thread some time ago wherein someone wanted to know if he could >cut down the terminals for clearance, and the overwhelming response was >that it could damage the battery if he stressed the terminals.

Sorry continue a thread that's been responded to, but the reason for not cutting down battery posts is because they're not one solid cylinder of lead. They're layered, and cutting the top off of one would expose the inner layer(s) and (possibly) allow seepage out betwixt them. I personally doubt you could damage the battery by lifting it with a strap. Manufacturers know about the straps and wouldn't design the post-plate connection weak enough to suffer from being lifted. But, after saying all that, yes... After the first removal, put the mesh, or even a few wrappings of string around the new battery when you put it in. You'll be glad you did in a couple years when you wanna replace it again or check the condition of the paint/rust/metal beneath it.