Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:57:38 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Trip report (need parts)

Cheers Volks from.......rainy California (San Diego) Well, i made it that far but not without any troublessssssss. 4100miles later........

Quick note to the folks who did offered help in San Diego area....i will call you guys (he he he)

Trip: Cold alll the way! everywhere! Nice friendly people everywhere i went, pretty cool! I did drive very close to many of you guys but as it was so cold we where driving all the time except for a short stop to New Orleen (2days) and San Antonio (Beautiful town by the way) We took half freeway and half small route, we've seing alot!

Ok, now the Bus!!!!!!!!!!! ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRR Am about 20 miles north of san diego right now on a small state beach park on the ocean. Here is my 3 main problem, in order(S) - Tranny problem, pretty sure it's the bushing in front of the tranny, 2 square parts! where the ball joint is, one side is almost missing? Trouble with first, second and reverse speed, very dificult driving in town? If not, i need a tranny, i cannot enter Mexico like that!

-Muffler, well i lost my muffler tail pipe twice, it won't last for long! My muffler is a 4 in 1 type, the 4 in 1 portion is fine but the muffler is going away fast, MY EXHAUST PIPE IS ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!!!, no shop in the main land could help me, well i was always in far away small town!!!

-Carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Running to rich at idle like hell!!! i think my fuel pump is giving to much pressure (flooded each morning and near impossible to start) and very dificult to start. I have a 100$ electric fuel pump (with regulator) but i had no time to install this one! I NEED NEW CARBS, or very good use one, i would also settle for single weber! I had to put my spare carbs yesterday, they are fine on freeway but TOOOOOO much ritch for driving in town (yes i played with the jet, screws, and everything adjustable, without any real succes)!!!! they smell fuel like hell when am at a stop or at idle! I am tired of those carbs, iv'e been playing with those all my way down south! changing jets (air and fuel), the other one completely failed in....Arizona, i could do nothing with those! Some morning or simply after fuelling the bus, black puff smoke, heavy hesitation, impossible to drive, light smell in the van at night when we are speeping!!!

I am simply dead, driving more than 500 mile some days, my girl didn't dive much as she coudn't shift the bus....

I would have love to meet a few of you guys along the way but....when your from Canada, your looking for some HOT weather in winter time! Maybe on my way back, not soon!!!!!!! (he he)

I have other small problem but nothing serious, i am on internet for an other hours! or so! and will check my message tomorow.

i only need a few quick adress of VW bus part retailer, i will do my own research right now.

Ok, am off now, thanks in advance for any advice for parts, i think i can do most repair on the campgroung, unless i need to change the tranny.

-So i need good used cabs or new one, i guess double carb will be a must! (my engine is 1.7L) -Bushing for the tranny (where the joint is) -Muffler for my 4 in 1 or complete new system, the heater box are fine!

Cheers, Ben

ps,: don't send e-mail to my normal e-mail, use the following if you can help in the San Diego Area for parts, am dead and tired and am am not able to think straight!!!! huotx@hotmail.com --huotx (at) hotmail.com if it doesn't show i will(try) check back my e-mail tomorow or tonight if possible, i will do some research.