Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:38:35 -0500
From:         Walt Oliver <walt@WALTNET.NET>
Subject:      Free '84 L, starts & runs, for picking up in Cincinnati

Listers,

Due to my elderly mother's illness, I'm forced to take a hiatus (only temporary, I hope!) from Vanagon ownership.

My 1984 L (metallic grey with blue interior, 4-spd, no A/C, about 186K miles, and with an engine rebuilt about 10K miles ago, newish hoses, water pump, fuel lines, brand-new battery, etc) is up for grabs. I had to move down to sunny South Carolina quickly and am unable to take the beast. It can be quite reliable--was my daily driver for several years.

It starts, runs, and is free for the taking, and currently lives at 1737 W. North Bend Road, Cincinnati, OH 45224. Can't miss it.

NB: Needs the new exhaust, exhaust hangers, and catalyst, which I have in the garage, installed. I installed a rebuilt alternator about 10K ago when the engine was rebuilt. Contact me for more details about the rebuild or anything else.

Other items: Has ugly replacement blue carpeting & foam underlay. Second seat is present but not bolted in. Rear heater never leaked and always worked well. Front heater-fan switch is fused in H position & needs replacement. Stereo is a cheapish Blaupunkt-can't remember the model, but is tape/AM-FM, and a misbegotten Sparkomatic subwoofer lies between the front seats. A Hella flexible-neck maplight is installed, as are a tach and voltmeter. It is wired for a CB radio, and a cell-style antenna is installed on the windshield. The windshield washer lines & jets need to be cleaned out with compressed air as gets discussed periodically.

Brand-new Brembo brake discs are included. Never had a chance to put them on.

Body is ugly, and has some grey primer sprayed on. Found that the dreaded PO had used Bondo all too liberally toward the right rear corner and in a few other places.

If you'd like this Vanagon (which helpfully also includes a couple large pieces of heavy sheet steel for your other project vehicles), contact me via pmail: walt@waltnet.net

...the title and keys are up in Cincinnati with a friend.

Best of luck with it!!

Walt Oliver, former Cincinnatian, now of Columbia, SC.

98 Acura RL 92 Saab 900S (assembled by a couple of 12-year-olds playing with visegrips) Vision R-40 pilot own two feet

Gone but not forgotten: 84 Vanagon L 81 Fiat X1/9 84 Civic S autocrosser