Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 2003 03:03:35 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      A day with Waxoyl(and no Pompadore to use the leftovers on)

Listees: I have seen several references to Waxoyl, the original British undercoating for vehicles. Well, a web search found Proper MG, an MG parts guru similar to Ken and Ron etal, selling a pump kit with 2.5 litres of the waxy stuff and a 2.5 litre refill and an aerosol can for the hard to hit spots. Total bill was about $100.

Cleaned the undercarriage as best I could and jacked the van up. The pump sprayer was okay and the nozzle only clogged once. I shot the stuff on the van in about 55 degree weather, and that could've been part of the problem. Tried real hard to keep the Waxoyl warm so it would flow out of the sprayer easier, but insulating a throwaway can wasn't in the cards. Warming the can in a sink full of hot water did wonders for the product.

Well ,,,,a couple hours later, we finished up and now the big trip up north to the salt o rama The Waxoyl has a huge waxy petro smell some will find objectionable and although I pumped all most all of the gallon plus I bought, keeping the waxy stuff in liquid state is critical to a smooth application process.

You never know when you've done too much, but 5 litres of this stuff got most of the metal areas. Since I'm heading to IA and the salt, I figured I'd at least try to keep my 90 GL rust free for a while longer anyway.

I always wondered if that truck bed liner stuff would make a good undercoating?

DM&FS