Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:51:09 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      What works for my hands NVC

Since I asked what works for everyone else(and we've had great responses so far), over the 30 plus years I've worked on cars, here's some of the stuff I've tried.

Kerrodex- tube of pre treatment for your hands ie rub it in before working in the nasty. More designed for fiberglass resin, but any barrier you can wedge in under the cuticles before the grease gets there, must be a help. Orange Pumice cleaners- Excellent but not the ultimate. Goop- Way too much petrol in it. Need to chase it with the orange stuff to hide the smell. Nail brushes- Wife found a green handled nail brush somewhere that had the stiff bristles for the fingers and a single row of stiff bristles hidden in the concavity of the handle to scrub out the grunge under the nails. Very effective tool. Gloves- A no brainer, but the nitrile gloves can be a little difficult to find on short notice.

When I have to be Sunday morning church-immaculate, I will jump in the shower after getting as much grease off as possible with the orange pumice. After a hot soaking shower has hyper hydrated the skin, I take a plain old bar of soap and jam it up under all 10 fingernails and then continue the shower. After all that soap has sat underneath the nail beds, the aforementioned brush will scrub most of the grunge out and then a finger nail cleaner will usually get the rest. A very long and laborious process making me wish I'd shopped for the gloves before I disabled the Vanagon.

DM&FS