Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:52:25 -0600
From:         Roy Olynick <rrh@AUTOBAHN.MB.CA>
Subject:      Fw:      Re: 87 westy ac refrigerant

Volks, I suspect I may be that "someone"...the following is my November 2001 posting about improving AC efficiency...

A few years back, I improved upon the slipshod design of the Westfalia's AC with a simple mod that took all of about 15 minutes and didn't introduce any unsightly ductwork into the interior.

The problem with AC air not reaching the front cabin area relates to the large, leaky, cavernous overhead AC housing. Although the AC fan has enough power to blast the air to the front of the van, the AC housing has no channels or interior ductwork to prevent the air from bouncing around inside looking for a way out, all the while losing momentum. Added to this are the poorly sealed joints of the housing which allow the AC air to leak out to where it shouldn't be going...like the closet!

To overcome these problems, I cut a few lengths of foam tubing (about 1 5/8" dia.) normally used to insulate copper water pipes in the home. Using a meter stick (that's a yardstick to those of you who are not metrified yet), this tubing was then shoved into the housing through the openings left after I removed the six vents on the front of the housing. The tubing's diameter is just large enough that it will 'friction fit' and remain in place after being positioned in the housing. The positioning of this tubing is all important. The idea here is to use the tubing to create a channel directing the AC air straight to the housing vents and not allowing the air to bounce around inside. I also blocked off the two outside vents for extra measure.

The air flow coming out of the AC is now more efficient and has enough momentum to reach the driver and front passenger when the vents are 'aimed' properly. For the minimum time and money expended on this mod, I've received more than value for my money. I now rarely need to set the AC blower switch higher than the second speed in order to cool the driver and navigator in the cockpit.

Roy Olynick '87 VW Westfalia GL (till death do us part) '91 Honda Civic SE '01 Honda Civic LX www.autobahn.mb.ca/~rrh/Westy_Home.htm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Dorm" <mark_hb@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:33 PM Subject: Re: 87 westy ac refrigerant

| If you look in the archives, there is someone who put in tubing of some sort that fit inside the stock ac tunnel, that fed cold air to the front more efficiently... |