Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:16:04 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Raining-no cruise control
Comments: To: SStones <sstones@IDIRECT.COM>

Hmm, Let me disagree with your analysis, but mostly support your conclusion...

Cruise controls work by monitoring the speed of the car...AS MONITORED BY THE VEHICLES CONTROLS.

If you are hydroplaning, those controls may not register the actual vehicle speed accurately. I've seen a 40 mph difference between actual speeds and monitored speed (i.e. speedometer) when hydroplaning (I was doing 60 and the speedometer read 20). Rear wheel drive vehicle (VW bug) and the speedometer cable connects to the front wheels.

To keep a straight line my steering was off to one side (which shifted when my tires got back on the pavement.) The danger lies with what happens if your wheels are pointed to the side and turning at the same speed as your actual speed (cruise control did that for you). As soon as your wheels contact pavement, your car will veer, just as if you had turned the wheel sharply at speed. The faster your wheels are turning the more the veer is likely to be (and hence why the cruise control could be nasty.)

The urban legends site mark this as a "real" story. Now to go to the conclusion phase. If you are paying attention to your driving, this is not a big risk in my opinion. The problem lies in those who are using cruise control to lessen their attention to the rigors of driving. Bad weather requires more attention and cruise control isn't recommended in any such situations. Besides, if one notices one is hydroplaning the worst possible thing to do is to try to keep up speed. (I was younger and stupider in those days... I experimented with that hydroplaning for a lot of miles on US 50...)