Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:19:38 -0700
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@VOLKSCAFE.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Paging owners of syncro.org springs...info needed
Comments: To: bentbtstr8@aol.com, pokey@VANAGON.ORG, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Below, tx, bmc :) Ben McCafferty ben@volkscafe.com

Volks Cafe 1823 Soquel Avenue Santa Cruz, CA 95062 831-426-1244 http://volkscafe.com

> > None of which should stop him Ben M. from asking Steve directly. --I had pinged him yesterday, on the syncrolist list, and hadn't heard. I heard from him this afternoon, and have asked him directly.

>IIRC Ben > doesn't own a Vanagon anymore. Do you BMC? --No, I am between Vanagons at the moment. But this isn't really relevant, is it? If I had a 2WD Vanagon, or a syncro with stock springs, I would be asking the same question.

>Is he so "desperate" as you put it > that he can't wait for Steve to answer his question? Why does he not disclose > his intent if it is indeed what you say? --Not desperate, just working and trying to complete an article. As soon as I saw the posts about espionage, I did send a message on what my intentions are/were.

>If BMC did that when he asked the > question, I would not have commented on the matter. Most of you who know that > I am rarely the first one to defend Syncro.org. However, I feel this matter > is critical to the Syncro/Vanagon industry as a whole. --You are correct, and I will be more direct in what I'm asking for and why in the future. I was in no way trying to infringe on someone's intellectual property.

> > The alternative spring idea is already there and has been for many years. The > specifications BMC is asking for is proprietary in my opinion. --It will be very easy for me to write this article without including Steve's springs. Since the article is intended as a service to the Vanagon community, I was trying to include as many Vanagon owners as possible. I also realize that most people who have Steve's springs have probably done lots of work on their suspension, and may not be interested in the Air Lift bags in the first place. My last syncro westy had Steve's springs on it, and still had the westy "list" to the left. Air Lift made a nice difference, since I could add different pressure to the left and right sides. So maybe some people will be interested after all.

> > It wasn't too long ago that another listee sought out a supplier to produce a > simplified version of the Projektzwo bumpers in California. Month's later, > said supplier started selling the self same bumpers via a certain retailer to > persons such as yourself. No credit given to the aforementioned listee in any > form that I can ever recall.

--I can't comment to this, since I wasn't around at that time. I can only point to my reputation on the lists and apologize for making some people uncomfortable. I do what I say I'll do, and my only intention in asking this question was to discuss the requirements for air bags with the Air Lift Company's engineers. You will notice that my question didn't ask for any of the information that would really tell me how the spring was built--thickness of steel, number of coils, spring rate, etc. I could build a lot of different springs with the information I asked for, and never duplicate Steve's great springs.

> > BenT > The shorter version of Benjamin Emmanuel S. Tan which is my real name. And > yes BenTbtstr8@aol.com is my real email address. Give me a break.......

--Not sure what you mean; I have never known you to use anything but this address since I've been on the lists?

Thanks guys and gals, bmc :) > > If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including > unsubscribing), visit: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro > Please remember that rude or offensive language is not allowed on the Syncro > list. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them off > the list. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >