Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2003 20:45:02 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Paging owners of syncro.org springs...info needed
Comments: To: ben@volkscafe.com, pokey@VANAGON.ORG, syncro@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 2/14/03 5:16:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, ben@volkscafe.com writes:

>IIRC Ben doesn't own a Vanagon anymore. Do you BMC?<<

--No, I am between Vanagons at the moment. But this isn't really relevant, is it? If I had a 2WD Vanagon, or a syncro with stock springs, I would be asking the same question.>>

It is relevant if you read Chris Gronski's assertion that you were asking for YOUR own Syncro.

<< --Not desperate, just working and trying to complete an article. As soon as I saw the posts about espionage, I did send a message on what my intentions are/were. >>

I was responding to Chris's post.

<< --You are correct, and I will be more direct in what I'm asking for and why in the future. I was in no way trying to infringe on someone's intellectual property. >>

I answered onlist because there was a good chance that your posting would receive pmail responses. In the event your inquiry was less than forthcoming, the damage would have already been done.

<< --It will be very easy for me to write this article without including Steve's springs. >>

I agree but there was no mention of any article in your posting.

<< Since the article is intended as a service to the Vanagon community, I was trying to include as many Vanagon owners as possible. >>

Precisely why I responded on the list.

<<... So maybe some people will be interested after all.>>

Is that not the intent afterall? Service to community is in the name of promotion. While I do not have a problem with that, let's not make it sound like it is all for community service.

<<.... You will notice that my question didn't ask for any of the information that would really tell me how the spring was built--thickness of steel, number of coils, spring rate, etc. I could build a lot of different springs with the information I asked for, and never duplicate Steve's great springs.>>

Here's what you asked for:

<--inside diameter <--outside diameter <--rubber bumper to its contact point on the a-arm, compressed (normal van < weight) <--rubber bumper to its contact point on the a-arm, uncompressed (van on a < jack, wheel hanging free) <--total spring length, compressed <--total spring length, uncompressed <--length of the rubber bumper"

That sounds mighty specific. Besides it was not likely that buyers of the spring would necessarily know what the spring rates are. With the information you requested, one with the proper skill can make a fairly accurate estimate of the spring rate and the size of the steel. Simple math can get you the right figure for size for instance. Exterior minus interior is the size of the spring. Compressed and uncompressed measurements when computed with the weight of the vehicle in question can yield the spring rate.

<< --Not sure what you mean; I have never known you to use anything but this address since I've been on the lists? >>

This is again in response to Chris Gronski's post.

BenT