Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:11:50 -0500
From:         Scott Grillo <sgrillo@FLYTWA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Snow handling of 412 (NVC)

Having lived in the Northeast, I would rate my winter driving skills to be reasonable. That said, my opinion of the Vanagon (from experience with my '85, '90 and now '91) is that they are no way as good as the old bug. As for VW's that I though loved the snow, my '82 Rabbit Diesel Pickup was great! Skinny all season tires pulled it thorough more than most, and it almost never got me stuck. (however, my prior ride, a Volvo 144 was also terrible in the snow. Could never figure out how they sold those things in Sweden!)

---Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 08:33:11 -0600 ---From: Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM> ---Subject: Re: Snow handling of 412 --- ---Both my '67 and '70 were outstanding in deep snow -- the '67 was ---the better ---of the two with the higher clearance and reduction gears. The ---only car I've ---driven that came close to them was an old Rabbit LS Diesel -- ---too stinkin' ---slow to do anything drastic. I guess by now Gary has started to ---do whatever ---he decided. Three feet is going to be too much for a car. If ---the roads are ---cleared he should do very well in the 412 by keeping to slow and ---steady. If ---I had to make the call I'd find a nice place to curl up and stay warm til ---things improved. Having honed my snow driving skills in Maine ---and Alaska, I ---am confident in my abilities to drive in the white stuff but not my ---abilities to dodge those who only think they can. --- ---Chuck ---'85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo' ---In Sunny Houston ---> This is sick. Unbelievable. I'm thankful for that ---