Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:04:41 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Snowstorm hits the Mid-Atlantic
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

I was heading from New York to Florida and I ended up driving through that mess in Virginia. The Syncro handled it with ease. It is amazing how many cars and SUV's made it into the ditches and trees on the side of the road. I am now in Florida, the FUN BUS turning 198,400 miles, original engine and head gaskets.

Dennis

WhoHa!

So, the GoldBrick has the 15" wheels (Rhein) and 215/75R15 BFG A/T's. Real Snow capable tires. It also has the Tiico engine to go along with the Syncro drive train. Being an 86, (first year Syncro) the GoldBrick also sits up higher than just about anything else out there on the Road today. Hummer included.

So I took it out in the snow today (about 18 inches on the ground during my afternoon jaunt.) I've got about 14 inches (estimated) of ground clearence. This is plenty for most snows encountered in the Mid Atlantic area. Today I got to see how (or if) it could handle something deeper. Most of the roads were already plowed at least once, so it was really only a matter of surfing the ruts in the snow. Fun but not what I was looking for.

I headed out of my neighborhood (Tyson's Corner, Virginia, if you know the DC area) and headed west to visit some friends (making sure that they didn't need anything or need to get anywhere.) Their neighborhood had not been plowed. 17 inches of snow. A few other vehicles had traveled the road which made it a bit like swimming in heavy surf. Van was tossed a bit, but handled it with ease.

Then I headed over to another friend's place. His driveway was unplowed, unshoveled and completely untouched. This was a challenge as the GoldBrick was bottoming out in the snow and getting dragged to a halt as the snow piled up in front of it (I was going up hill). I backed up and got a running start and plowed a bit further. Backed up again and finally made it to the top.

And the snow is continuing to fall. I think 18 inches is about as much as the Gold Brick can handle without more weight on board. Maybe I'll consider some way to hook up the snow plow from my ATV to it. I'll need it in about 20 years to the next snow storm of comparable depth in this area....

BTW, I did see a few people out on the road that still haven't learned that you just don't go fast in snow. They were still trying to figure out how to get those jeeps out of the ditches. I never went faster than 30 mph, most times only about 25, except going downhill I'd slow it down even more.

I love how neutral the Vanagon is when you slam on the brakes. Comes to a complete straight stop (I did this to make sure I knew how it would handle in a panic situation before I got out of by immediate neighborhood.)

Crank up the heat and it was quite comfortable inside. I had to make sure to NOT direct heat to the windshield as otherwise the snow melts on the outside and then refreezes to the windshield wipers...not a good idea for maintaining visibility. I had forgotten this knowledge since it had been so long since a really major storm was in this area.

I saw a number of SUVs, two subarus, one car and one hummer (h2) on the road. In additon, that is, to all the snowploughs and snowplow carrying pickups.

After getting back to the house the beef stew I whipped up tasted mighty fine. At last check I believe there was about 22 inches of snow on my front porch.