Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:30:26 -0800
From:         van man <vannman99@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Running Rich - O2 sensor reading low?

Hi,

I think I have been running rich for a while, at least I have noticed about a 2mpg decrease in fuel efficiency. Things got bad on a road trip a few weeks ago - I lost all power going up a grade and the van was idling VERY rough. I shut off the engine, turned it back on(resetting the computer), and it was fine. This started to happen with increased frequency on the road trip, ONLY ON GRADES, so I disconnected the O2 sensor and she ran great, seemingly with more power than I had remembered in a while.

I have been driving around town for a week with the O2 disconnected, and I seem to be getting better mileage.

I had a new O2 laying around, so I spliced her in this weekend, and while I haven't tested it on a grade yet, I brought the digitool out to check some readings. It seems as if the O2 is detecting a lean mixture(?). When I first turn on the van, the digitool reads about .6-.75. However, as soon as I give it any gas, the reading drops, and as I drive, it will hover between .15 and .35. As soon as I let off the gas, it goes negative to about -.5, then once idling again, its back to .45 - .55 (when warm).

The other readings seem ok, I think... AFM is 1.5 -1.65 at idle, 3.5 at 3k RPM - but never higher, even when its floored - should it be higher when its wide open?? Temp I - 1.68ish when warm Temp II - .14 when warm.

Throttle switch is sticky when I first start it up, but seems great after a minute or two.

I guess my question is what could cause a new O2 sensor to read so low? I have taken extra care to make sure the ground on the green wire isnt touching the female connector or grounding out anywhere.

Im a little suspicous of my cat converter... if it has failed, could it be messing with the O2 sensor? I have a new cat, but am hesitant to swap it out for fear of blowing it if I continue to run rich.

Thanks!

Jeff