Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:59:14 -0600
From:         Donald Baxter <donald.baxter@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine advise
Comments: To: I4VW@AOL.COM

I think replacing the standard 1.9L engine is most budget-conscious way to go. While that extra 8 horsepower and some added torque make the 2.1L engine tempting, I don't think that engine is as long-lived from my albeit anecdotal experience of reading this list since 1994.

I put a factory remanufactured 1.9L in mine 72,000 miles ago. It has performed flawlessly every since, burns no oil, leaks no fluids. It has plenty of power for Iowa <grin>. It's my understanding that the factory remanufactured engines have become prohibitively expensive since then leaving rebuilds as the only relatively inexpensive way to go. Glad I did mine when I did!

If money were no object, I'd put a 1.9L TDI in mine. Someday when I win the Iowa Lottery, I'll ship mine up to Britich Columbia for the transplant!

Donald Baxter '85 GL Iowa City