Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:32:22 -0500
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy propane regulator
Comments: To: laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM

I don't have close access to my Westy to see if we have the Marshall 209 you speak of, but the replacement for a failed Westy regulator is a dime-a-dozen regulator that requires slight bending of the Westy's copper tubes. We replaced ours for $20.

From snowy DC, G. Matthew Bulley

WAR--A real threat to US Citizens? Blood for oil? Or an elaborate sideshow to distract attention from more pressing national problems the Administration can't seem to solve?

Greetings all,

My sweetie and I just bought a 1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia last thursday. We took it for a nice 3 day weekend camping trip to the redwoods and had a great time!

While we were in the campsite Laura said she could smell a faint stink of propane. At first I just figured it was just the beer and chili I had for lunch, but later I got a whiff too and decided it really was propane and not me...

It didn't take long to trace the smell to the propane regulator, which was leaking a small amount from the vent hole. Rats....

So, today I've done a small bit of web searching and the only replacement regulator I find is from the Bus Boys for $100. Accck!

I hunted some RV websites and found a Marshall 290 2-stage regulator that looks functionally equivalent, but the dimensions on it are quite a bit larger than the origional regulator. It's also 1/5 the price.

Sooo.... the question is, what do you folks do for replacement regulators? Spend the $100 for an original style one? Get a generic 2-stage for $20 and make it fit? (modify the hard lines and the regulator cover) Or...???

Thanks much for any good advise you can steer my way... We'd like to take it out on the road again this weekend, and it sure would be nice if the fridge worked! (-:

Cheers, Steve D.