Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:36:32 -0500
From:         colin maclay <cmaclay@CYBER.LAW.HARVARD.EDU>
Subject:      87 syncro weekender for sale -- needs engine work

When I happened across my Syncro last fall, I spent hours surfing the sites you all know so well, and found this list. It had engine trouble, but it also had lots of great things, most of all, previous owners who loved it. I was inspired to dive in -- not just to the list, but also the challenges (and rewards) that Vanagon ownership promised. It was not to be, however, as I gobbled a bit more than I could chew.

I knew my Syncro's engine problem was significant when I got it (i had to buy it on the spot), and hoped I could either take on the challenge or find someone to do it. I read and fiddled as best I could, and looked for a mechanic I thought I could trust and learn from.

After many hours on the web and talking to folks around Boston, I found Gregg's Repair Service in Natick, MA (everyone says, they aren't cheap, but they're good -- I don't know much about the cost, but they seemed honest, helpful and straightforward -- 508-647-9749).

Sadly, the news was that while my Syncro is mechanically sound (including new stuff), it needs an LS Cylcinder Head replacement (the #3 intake valve retainer is broken), particularly unfortunate since the wasserboxer 2.1 was rebuilt 22k miles back. Other specifics: it has locking rear hubs, manual transmission, rear seat that folds into double bed (weekender), am/fm/cassette, a/c, blue-gray color, 140k miles, lots of recent repairs: water pump, brake lines and rear wheel cylinders, ignition coil.

It has a very nice and comfortable interior that I'd love to spend a weekend in, suffers from a little rust around the edges and one or two minor dents, but is mechanically solid (passed MA inspection last year before the engine trouble). It's located in Boston area, and online at http://web.media.mit.edu/~colinm/vanagon/vanagonthumbs.html You can also email me cmaclay@cyber.law.harvard.edu for more. I'd like to get out of it what I've put in -- $1200/obo, or i'm open to a trade... thanks.